Needs Vs. Wants, Must Have Vs. Nice to Have... When you think about it, there is a big difference. Before we start looking for a home, we meet to discuss this. There are a few variables that we can play with, namely, price, style and location. If you're will to be a little flexible on one of these points, the other two might come together very well. For example if one of your must haves is a detached home, style, then you might have to be more flexible on the location or price.
Some other questions to ask yourself might be how much can you afford to spend or how much are you willing to spend, and are you looking for something you can move into right away, or are you willing to renovate?
Neighbourhood - For most of my clients, neighbourhood is of primary importance. This could be because of their comfort level, knowledge of the neighbourhoods, proximity and travel distance to work, proximity to friends and family, school districts, walkability, and a whole host of other variables. Some popular Toronto neighbourhoods that many growing families gravitate towards are Leaside, Davisville Village, Leslieville, Riverdale, East York, and Bloor West Village. See http://www.perrybaria.com/ All Toronto Neighbourhoods for more details.
Fundamentals - These are some features you have usually figured out, and aren't so willing to bend on.
- Detached, semi-detached or townhome.
- Bungalow, 2 storey, split level
- Number of bedrooms
- Number of bathrooms
- Driveway - mutual, private, front pad
Special Details -
- Open concept vs compartmentalization - this can often be determined by the age of the home, or the level of renovation. Older homes are sectioned off into separate rooms unless they have been renovated and opened up.
- Backyard - Having a deck for the adults and some grass for the kids to play on, or for pets
- Heating and cooling - Forced air or boiler??
There is so much to consider when buying a home or condo. I can help avoid the pitfalls, and seamlessly guide you through this process, while making it an enjoyable experience ---- who knew you could have that too??!!!